Degree thesis frontispiece: the rules for writing it
Degree thesis title page: one of the final and most delicate passages of one’s work.
You have written all the chapters, edited the individual paragraphs, arranged the index, chosen a title, satisfied the requests of the speaker.
Now the title page of the thesis remains to be taken care of.
FRONTESPIZIO TESI DI LAUREA: WHAT IS IT?
The title page is the preliminary page to the text and contains information that identifies all the work.
In this part there are those who think they can give maximum freedom to their creative spirit. Mistake! Most Italian universities require specific stylistic features also depending on the department in which their degree is included. We at have seen it in all colors, you can trust it.
Our dispassionate advice is to proceed as follows:
- search on your university website for specific requests for the preparation of your title page (the search may not be quick and easy)
- If you don’t find them, ask the secretary and your supervisor directly
- Ask other colleagues who are already graduates before you and look for information as precise and official as possible.
HOW TO WRITE THE FRONT EXPETITION
We anticipate that the absolutely essential information to report is:
- The department / faculty
- Degree course
- The title of the thesis
- The name of the candidate and if required the matriculation number
- The name of the speaker (and the co-rapporteur if present)
- The academic year
FRONTEXPIZIO: TIPS ON STYLE
The style has its importance: here are some tips on how to write this part of the thesis.
- Do not put the page number on the title page
- Don’t worry about logos. If you find them of low resolution, we can replace it for you with a logo that allows the maximum yield in the print (we are always at your disposal!)
- If you choose duplex printing, remember to leave a blank page so that the back of the title page is white
- It uses the same font (character) throughout the title page but with different dimensions to the various parts. For example: University 20, Degree Course 18, Thesis Title 16, other data 14. Do not excessively reduce the font because otherwise the print result will be very bad.
It may seem trivial but … look away from your title page for a moment after you work on it or, better yet, let another person read it to avoid spelling mistakes (maybe on the surname of the speaker or on your name!)
Check the accents. Accents and apostrophes are not the same thing. Learn how to put accents with your PC keyboard. Italian is a beautiful but complex language. Some examples: why and not because, since it is not because university and not university or university, faculty and not faculty or faculty. Maybe they may seem trivial to you that nobody will pay attention to, but we assure you that as we notice it, your perfidious co-supervisor could pay attention to you and think about giving you a lower score.
LAST PASSAGE: SUMMARY
The title page is present both on the cover of the thesis and on the front page of the same.
The elements to be introduced on the title page, in order as listed, are:
- the logo of your university to be placed at the center;
- the name of your university that we advise you to write aligned in the center in capital letters and size 16 and to use the same type of font used to write the thesis. In the previous article, we advised you to use a simple font, such as Times New Romans (for example: “UNIVERSITY OF STUDIES OF …”);
- your degree course, aligned to the center, always written in capital letters size 14 (for example “COURSE OF DEGREE IN …”);
- your name and surname, aligned in the center, written in small size 11;
- the title of the thesis, aligned to the center, written in lowercase, italics (as desired), size 12/14;
- the writing, in the center, TESI DI LAUREA, in capital letters size 12;
- the name and surname of your supervisor, aligned to the right, in lower case, size 11;
- the academic year, centered in the center, written in capital letters
All the above considerations may also vary depending on the font you choose and the material you will choose for the binding of your thesis (to get a better print result there are some small tricks. If you need advice, contact directly by clicking here )
Was this post helpful to you? Let’s hope so! If so, share it with colleagues and friends.